Seabird College is dedicated to teaching and learning. We believe that sound education rests on a commitment to a code of academic integrity that stresses the principles of honesty, trust, respect, fairness and responsibility.
We are committed to excellence and the highest standards. By providing students with our unique wrap-around services we support them in achieving their academic and training goals. At Seabird College every student is respected and valued.
Our vision is for all students to receive:
- Excellence in instruction and research;
- A professional and respectful learning environment that reflects indigenous knowledge;
- The supports that are able to be offered to students to achieve their educational goals, including one-on-one and group tutoring, family events, and much more;
- Innovative, unique and comprehensive programming;
- Education that supports both personal and career development;
- Beneficial local, national and international partnerships;
- Recognition in the form of a certificate, diploma or degree upon meeting the prescribed requirements in their field of study; and
- Knowledge that there is an informed respectful working relationship amongst First Nations groups;
To realize our vision, Seabird College has developed core values that will conform to our work in practice. These values are:
- Every student matters
- Build relationships with our neighbouring bands to discuss their education needs
- Partner with other institutions
- Value and respect all individuals
- Strive for excellence in all that we do
- Promote equality and inclusion
- Our faculty, staff, and board members are committed to going the extra mile to deliver the best service possible; they are passionate about student’s success.
Seabird College and Adult Education offer programs and courses in a variety of ways with a focus on wrap-around supports to help students succeed. The college seeks to meet the individual needs of a diverse group of learners within a high quality learning atmosphere.
- All programs are fully certified.
- We have small class sizes.
- Transportation may be provided to Chilliwack, Hope and Agassiz (under review).
- We provide support workers, tutoring and academic supports and basic daily lunch programs.
About Seabird Island Band
The Seabird Island Band exists to promote a healthier, self-sufficient, self-governing, unified and educated community. We believe that a healthy community is one that has achieved physical, emotional, mental, spiritual and cultural balance.
We work towards building a community where communal pride and respect are based on family values and respect for other people’s values, views and ideas. We want to co-exist with other communities and governments while exerting our right to be a self-governing nation.
We promote full employment, the development of our local economy, and improved housing conditions. We want our community to be a safe and prosperous place for our people. We aim at achieving a good standard of living for all our Band Members.